Appledore is situated between Tenterden and New Romney on the B2080. There are several theories as to how its name came about, but the most likely explanation is that this is the Saxon word for appletree. It is an attractive village with medieval houses and a 14th century church St Peter and St Paul. The village has a Post Office, village store, three pubs, and antique shops. The railway station lies two miles away on the Ashford to Hastings line.
Appledore is a small village and has an eventful history that goes back to Roman times. It was once a port and has played its part in events of national importance. The Danes arrived at Appledore in AD 892 in order to launch an invasion of England. In 1380 the French also landed, burning the village and church. In 1381 villagers took part in the Peasants' revolt, led in Kent by Wat Tyler ... much later in 1450 villagers joined Jack Cade's attempts to reform the government of Henry VI. . The village was considered to be on the front line of defence against the threatened Napoleonic invasion, hence the Royal Military Canal passes close by. Today the canal offers excellent walks and fishing (day tickets are available). The long distance footpath which follows the old Saxon Shoreline passes through the village.
Monday 24th September
Location: Rye Harbour
Join Barry for a two mile circular walk around part of this beautiful nature reserve looking at wildlife, history and ... more